Please find the following list of requirements needed in order to apply for your OOW Yachts <3000gt oral exam. These include comprehensive orals prep training, and ensuring you have the correct yacht and sea service and certificates.
What is Yacht Service?
Yacht service is being signed onto a yacht, whether you are on passage or not, and does not include leave. Actual Sea Service is when you are actually at sea, on passage.
What is the Correct Required Service:
You need to have 36 months of Yacht service on vessels of any size, including 365 days of Sea service on vessels 15 metres or over in loadline length.
The 365 days of Sea service can be broken down:
- you must have 250 days of Actual Sea Service, but the balance of 115 days can be made up with:
- 90 days in the yard and
- up to 14 consecutive days of standby service at a time (fully fuelled/victualed/crewed whilst waiting for guests to arrive.
- However Note: No period of standby service may exceed the length of the previous voyage.
You must also have a Training Record Book, filled in over at least 6 months, and each individual task must be signed off by Captain/Chief Mate/Chief Engineer. You do not need a training record book if you can prove 36 months of Actual Sea Service on vessels of at least 24 metres in loadline length.
Course Certificates Required for OOW 3000
- STCW Basic Safety Week certificates (PSTor RYA Basic Sea Survival/PSSR/Elementary First Aid/Basic Fire Fighting)
- RYA Yachtmaster Offshore Shorebased cert, plus RYA Yachtmaster Offshore or Yachtmaster Coastal
- CoC commercially endorsed (either sail or power). Or IYT equivalent.¹
- CPSC&RB/Advanced Sea Survival certificate²
- GMDSS GOC certificate
- OOW Navigation and Radar Theory (course completion & pass) & Simulator certificates
- OOW General Ships Knowledge course completion & pass certificate
- Efficient Deck Hand (EDH) certificate³ Human Element Leadership and Management certificate
- ECDIS certificate
- ENG1 Medical certificate
- If you are yet to receive any of these certificates, you can still apply for the NoE, but you will need to submit the certificates to the MCA before the CoC can be issued.
- Personal Survival Techniques
- Proficiency in Survival Craft & Rescue Boats (CPSC & RB)
- Proficiency in Fast Rescue Boats (PFRB)
- Basic Fire Fighting
- Advanced Fire Fighting
Application Process for an NoE OOW 3000
In order to take the oral exam for Master 3000gt, it is essential to have the Notice of Eligibility. This document is given out after the MCA has examined whether you qualify, and you won’t be able to make an appointment for the oral exam until you receive the NoE.
In order to validate your service hours, you must submit two forms of proof per vessel. This proof is usually composed of a testimonial and a Certificate of Discharge. Alternatively, if you possess a discharge book, it can be used along with a testimonial for each boat. Additionally, if you are a member of the Professional Yachting Association, they will verify your PYA logbook.
You must provide proof of your identity when you submit your application, such as a copy of your passport that is signed by your Captain and includes their CoC number, or any form of National ID like a birth certificate or Discharge Book. Written exam pass certificates are only valid for three years, so if your module pass certificates are beyond that time frame, you will need to provide new certificates to the MCA before they can give you a NoE.
In order to be eligible for the Online oral exams, it is necessary to download and complete the application form and submit the required certificates and testimonials to the MCA. It will take approximately 1-2 months for the application to be processed and the NoE to be issued. After this, the applicant is eligible to take the oral exam.
At Captain Barry Sadler Maritime Training we provide an E-Learning Academy and blended learning Orals prep with a 90% pass rate . View our oral preparation e learning courses for the OOW 3000 oral exams. Our course houses 38 individual modules containing videos, quizzes, books and course notes as well as access to the offline app.