What is an ISM Audit
THE ISM AUDIT FOR COMPLIANCE. Audits are carried out to verify compliance with the ISM Code in. accordance with the ”Guidelines on Implementation of the ISM Code, IMO Resolution A.1022 (26).
1. Why are ISM Audits So important?
Due to the number of accidents at sea, The International Maritime Organization (IMO) introduced the International Safety Management Code (ISM) to ensure safe operations, prevent human injury, and prevent environmental damage. The ISM code requires shipping companies to carry out internal and external audits for each vessel they are managing.
Carrying out internal and external audits verify that ships and shore organizations follow the responsibilities and objectives detailed in the Safety Management System. It also enables shipping companies to identify improvement areas, measure performance, and implement policies that conform to the ISM code.
2. The Benefits if an ISM Audit
The International Safety Management Code (ISM) require Shipping Companies to have procedures for conducting both internal and external audits to ensure the ship as well as the shore organisation is doing what is documented in the Safety Management System.
Carrying out internal SMS audits companies measure the effectiveness of their own systems. Internal SMS or ISM audits are potentially more important than external audits for controlling the effectiveness of the system, since companies stand to gain or lose more than the external audit bodies if the system fails. The company, its employees, shipmasters, officers and crews ‘own’ the safety management system and have a direct interest in ensuring that it is effective. As a result, the internal SMS audit, which represents these interests, should be at least equal to if not exceed the thoroughness of the external SMS audit process.
3. Our accredited ISM Audits Ensures your vessel
- Is able to verify and maintain system effectiveness
- Is compliant with all the required statutory regulations
- Has minimised pollution and environmental damage
- Has identified all possible risks and areas for improvements
- Has identified any communication, or training needs.
4. What we can provide
- Assistance with the build of the vessel’s Safety Management System (SMS) – including:Procedures and Forms, Health, Safety and Environmental Policy, Drug and Alcohol Policy, and a Safety Management Manual,
- Annual Internal Audits on board, ensuring compliance with the ISM Code as well as support and advice for the Captain, when required.
- Ensure that on-board procedures are compliant with PYC / LY3
- Help and support for the Captain and Crew to resolve all issues raised in Non-Conformance and Accident or Incident Reports.
- Review the vessel’s Safety Management System to address all points raised in the Captain’s Annual SMS Review.
- Regular amendments to the Safety Management Manual in order to remain compliant with new legislation.