Who needs an ML5 certificate

You need an ML5 medical certificate if you’re:

  • the master of a passenger ship that does not go to sea (Class IV or V)
  • the master of a commercial vessel that does not go to sea
  • the master or a crew member of a small commercial vessel certificated for Area Category 2 to 6 (no more than 60 miles from a safe haven)
  • a crew member or anyone else (for example catering staff) who normally works on a domestic passenger ship (Class VI or VIA) that goes to sea

Read the guidance about medical fitness requirements if you work on domestic vessels and small commercial vessels.

There is not a set fee for an ML5 certificate but your doctor will probably charge for this service.

How to apply

Download the ML5 application form and ask your doctor to complete it.